Friday, 31 July 2015

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon | Review


 
Genre: Young Adult , Contemporary
Publication Date: September 1st 2015
Pages: 240
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Publisher : Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Rating: 5/5
 
 
This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster
.
 
 
*I received this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
 
Before I begin to explain how much I loved this book , I need to give you a bit of backstory. I won't go into it to much but basically , I have severe allergies to nuts and eggs. You probably don't think that that's a big deal but being in the same room as one of those things can kill me. I don't say this for sympathy or anything but so you understand how I felt about this book. (I know that it's nothing compared to Maddy's but some of the deep dark thoughts that she had were very similar to mine.) When I first heard about this book , I knew that I had to read it because I've been waiting for a book with a character with allergies for so long!
 
This book was hilarious , heart breaking and touching. The story is told through normal narrative , doodles , medical records , diary entries and dictionary definitions. It's beautifully illustrated by David Yoon and I loved that every page was unique. The story moved quickly and was a short but gripping read. Maddie's narrative was actually hilarious at times and her conversations with Olly made me cry from laughter. 
 
I have never related to a character more than I have with Maddy for obvious reasons but aside from that , it was very entertaining to see the world from her point of view as she passed time during her days. I loved her relationship with her nurse Carla and how she stayed happy after 15 years of her illness. I think that Carla understood her much more than her mother did and she have Carla every operunity. Maddy questions who she'd be without her illness , if there were a cure which is a feeling I know very well. Maddy is very naive but she knows that as well as we do , she's open to learn as much as she can and she wants to learn as much as she can. 
 
Olly was such an adorable character and the fact that he would go through so much to see Maddy warmed my heart. He has his own troubles and Maddy helps him to overcome them as he helps her. Although their relationship was mainly in text messaging , I didn't get a sense of instalove at all! It was as if they'd known eachother for a very long time and it was really beautiful.
 
Towards the end of the book , a lot changes and it was really incredible to read. It awakened fears in myself as well as give me so much hope. There's a pretty massive plot twist that made me put my kindle down and be like "WHAT?"The overall message (as you can see on the cover) is "The greatest risk is not taking one." and you have no idea how much I needed to read that , it has definitely changed how I view my life.
 
I could write an entire post about how this book made me feel but I'll leave that for another day as I don't want to think that I only enjoyed it because of my allergies because I know that I would've enjoyed it either way. It's a fast moving and touching story that will change how you see the world. I don't recommend this book , I urge you to read it , you are truly missing out if you don't! I can't wait for the release of this book so that I can see it getting the recognition that it truly deserves. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book so much!! Heard conflicting opinions over the plot twist but I loved it and somehow didn't see it coming at all!
    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made a lot of sense! I loved to see the identity crisis that Maddy overcame afterwards. I definitely didn't see it coming but I knew that there was something odd going on! Thank you! x

      Delete