Monday, 17 August 2015

Remix by Non Pratt | Review



Genre: Young Adult , Contemporary
Pages: 304
Publication date: June 4th
Publisher: Walker books
Rating:✰✰✰✰
 
From the author of Trouble comes a new novel about boys, bands and best mates.

Kaz is still reeling from being dumped by the love of her life... Ruby is bored of hearing about it. Time to change the record.

Three days. Two best mates. One music festival. Zero chance of everything working out.
 
Remix is a story about two best friends , Ruby and Kaz , at a music festival along with some interesting side characters mashed into one great , fun summer read. It's told from the perspective of both Ruby and Kaz , alternating throughout the chapters , giving us an insight to what both characters are thinking and doing in the moment. Nothing ever comes between Ruby and Kaz but not everything goes to plan at this festival and almost without meaning to , they are both lying to the other.
 
At the beginning , I thought I'd prefer Kaz to Ruby. My first impression was that Kaz was sensible and Ruby would be the reckless friend when actually , that can't be said about either of them. I soon realised that I much preferred Ruby. She was going through more than even she realised and the fact that she could still put on a happy face speaks wonders. Kaz was naïve and really immature at times! I would not have enjoyed the book as much if it was only from her perspective. Despite everything , I loved how their friendship grew over the course of the book and I think they learned a lot about each other and themselves.
 
One of my favourite aspects to the book was the side characters. There were a lot of them but Non Pratt did such a good job at making them developed and real that we really knew them all after only 3 days of short scenes with them! I loved the character sub-plots connected to Ruby and by the end of the book , I was teary eyed because of someone I thought we were supposed to hate. It seems that everyone misread certain characters and I loved how it all wrapped up in the end , it was almost ironic!
 
Overall , I enjoyed this book! It was lighthearted , funny and a joy to read , I can't wait to read some more of Non Pratt's writing. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes realistic stories about the not so perfect moments of love and friendship.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment