Monday, 24 August 2015

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover | Review

            
 
Genre: New Adult , Romance
Pages: 337
Publication Date: August 5th 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Rating: ✰✰✰✰✰
 
 
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.
 
 
(I wrote this review back in April when I read Ugly Love but I never posted it.)
 
 
This book is written in two perspectives , Tate and Miles' but while we read about Tate falling in love with Miles , Miles' timeline is when he was younger and falling in love with a girl called Rachel. The first thing you notice is that there is no evidence in Miles' life that this Rachel ever existed other than the flashbacks and his obvious psychological problems. The entire way through we learn more about Miles and how he feels about his past from Tate's perspective and about what actually happened from his.
 
Tate moves in with her brother , planning to focus on her nursing career so she is initially fine with the "No future." agreement but as the story progresses , she can't deny that she feels more than just lust for Miles. Miles however , is dead set on playing by the rules. We know from the start that he has demons that we can hardly imagine but it was easy to forget that Tate wasn't reading his chapters and didn't know what we did. I felt a lot more sympathy for Miles than Tate did when things started to get tough but I had to remind myself that Tate really has no idea about what he's been through and not to be angry with her. It was interesting to learn about his past and watch Tate learn as well , they were a great pair of characters who had undeniable chemistry in every way.
 
Miles' backstory chapters were written in verse and I found that weird at the start but as soon as I got into it...it was Tate's chapter again. That took me a while to get used to but soon enough , I was invested in both storylines! Miles' backstory , oh my goodness. I knew it'd be horrible but it broke my heart into a million tiny pieces. His entire arc was beautiful and I loved how he overcame his troubles in such a wonderful way! There was one scene involving him in present day and someone from his past and it is one of my favourite book scenes , it was all kinds of emotional.

I keep talking about Miles but Tate was a great character as well. I loved the relationship she had with her brother and how hardworking she was. Where as most people would've turned away when they realised the extent of Miles' burdens , she pushed to help him and eventually , changed his life. Their relationship was so much more than what you'd expect from a "friends with benefits" one!

This is one of my favourite Colleen Hoover books , I always say that but this one still has an emotional impact on me months later. It's everything I like about New Adult and so much more. I recommend this book to anyone who loves good storytelling methods and a good sob-fest story.

2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say that I have never even read ONE Colleen Hoover book. I know. It's shameful!! I DO really want to though and I think that this might be the one that I pick up first. Thanks for stopping by A Blonde Librarian :)

    http://www.ablondelibrarian.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started reading her books this year and I've gotten through most of them. I would definitely recommend reading Ugly Love first because you'll be thrown straight into the greatness.

      Delete